1) I will NOT be buying baby cuddle towels. Babies don't know what towels you dry them in, and also they don't really care. Normal nice towels are fine. Tiny bear shaped towels they will soon grow out of are a total waste of money and will clog up your airing cupboard.
2) Babies will sleep anywhere. Actually some won't - mine especially. But they don't care where their cot comes from, they just want it to be warm, comfortable and safe. Go straight to Ikea or Asda, those cots are fine and cost about £50, a snip of a price of the £600 cot we bought from Mamas and Papas all those years ago...
|Asda Cot - perfectly fine|
3) Bedding bales - again, these will probably never be used. Babies only need a sleep bag and a fitted sheet underneath them don't they? So why bother with all that stuff? It's just more stuff to wash, and who needs the hassle?
4) Muslin clothes are much much cheaper on ebay - buy in bulk, you know you want to. Also plain muslins are a lot cheaper and as everyone knows, babies are not bothered about cute patterns.
5) Baby clothes - babies don't care what they look like, in fact they aren't even that bothered about nice clothes as otherwise why would they be constantly sick on them? Drop unsubtle hints to friends about outgrown baby clothes and they will soon start flooding in. Or buy on ebay or gumtree. I recently paid £16 for a zip up jumper for my three year old that now looks like a limp rag.
6) Baby chairs etc can be helpful but again, you will no doubt have a kind neighbour who is desperate to get rid of theirs. Baby beans bags, bumbos and the rest, leave it, they are space eater uppers and you will be constantly tripping over them.
7) Pushchairs. You will be tempted to buy a super pricey Bugaboo or Quinny then spend three years breaking your back lifting them in and out of the car in the pouring rain. Micralites are by far the best pushchairs and are small and easy to fold. Buy one on ebay!
8) Baby baths - total waste of money. Just put a few centimetres of water in the bath and keep hold of your baby and sponge them down while they have a splash around. Baby baths also get quite mouldy and black before long. Honestly, you'll thank me.
9) Baby changing bags. Some companies get away with charging a ridiculous amount for canvas "changing bags" (naming no names PINK LINING). Totally over priced! Just get a normal large bag with longish handles. It'll get trashed anyway being dumped on wet floors while you're folding up your Bugaboo (!).
10) High chairs will soon be the bane of your life and will need constant wiping. My preference is Ikea again as their white chair is small and easy to wipe. Do NOT get one with lots of nooks and crannies as food will ALWAYS find its way down there and you will be forced to get a very sharp knife to attempt to get it out before it turns green..
|Ikea highchair - total crowd pleaser|