I'm always looking for new ways to save money and one of the biggest expenses in my life is most definitely my car. A while ago I got rid of my Astra as it was simply costing me so much in petrol, I really didn't need a 1.6 engine and so settled for a funky new red Ford Fiesta. I don't actually own the car as I have a lease arrangement in place, this probably isn't the cheapest way of doing things, but it works for me and I pay £104 a month for a brand new car that is INCREDIBLY fuel efficient. Over the years I have found a few ways of saving money on everyday motoring (can't believe I just used that word!) and so I thought I would share them with you!
1) Keep your tyres pumped up and do it regularly. It makes a real difference to fuel consumption and makes your car safer too.
2) This is obvious, but unless you really need it keep that air con and heaters switched off! As every contact lense wearer will tell you, they are really drying for the eyes and skin, bad for the environment and will cost you money in petrol costs!
3) Collect vouchers and loyalty cards for petrol stations and use them wherever possible. Sainsburys quite often 6p off a litre if you shop with them which is a good deal. Obviously weigh it up to ensure it is a genuine saving, sometimes they can be a little misleading.
4) If you need new tyres, don't just bob down to your local Kwikfit, like anything, it pays to be prepared. Google cheap tyres and book that way. I've heard http://www.asdatyres.co.uk/ is quite good though I've never tried it myself.
5) GLIDE! Don't race towards red traffic lights and always reverse into spaces if you can. The reduction in revs will help you to save petrol.
6) Service your car regularly. It will cost you less in the long run (as we found out last year!) and should also help your car stay fuel efficient.Safer too.
7) If something does go wrong with your car, don't just take it to your nearest garage, shop around with a website like http://www.whocanfixmycar.com/ Post a job, get quotes and this also includes mobile mechanics who can help you out at home! Perfect for people who either work from home and/or have small children. Ace!
Do you have any tips for saving money on cars? Share here!